Monday, June 4, 2012

T is also for...

T is also for Thought process! And Take Two. (Any Scategory players going to give me double points for that one?) Here is a brief overview of what went into the making of my little video.

It all began with a brilliant idea from Sam. She is kinda awesome. Just fyi. Because Google chat was unable to convey the awesomeness of this concept, she sent me this quick video.


What could be better? I started brainstorming how to make it work. Unlike Emily Coleman, I was hesitant to involve large groups of people. They take too long. So that leaves... Me? My sisters? Paint animation? Stuffed animals? No. How about those Family Home Evening magnet people? Bingo.

As I brainstormed just what to do, I rifled through all the magnet people we have. Most were wayyy too churchy. Because the goal was NOT to be sacrilegious, I chose all of those that seemed the most street-worthy. I was also pleased to find a mother-child magnet, which served perfectly for my Hester. As I separated those people into "peer group" or "society", I recognized some major irony. If the magnets looked similar to my Hester figure, I put them in the peer group, yet looks have almost nothing to do with online societies. The only criteria on which I could judge social connection was appearance. NOT APPLICABLE TO ONLINE CULTURE. One of the main points in my paper is that the web allows people to bond through common interest, experiences, and even shared sin.



My next creative resource was the handy-dandy jar of foam letters. Brilliant! I first thought of them because my handdrawn A's weren't visible... But lets face it, the key component of the social confession theory that I propose in my paper is that individuals make their sins visible to online communities. As I searched for all the A's I could find, I was very pleased with the multi-colored effect they achieved. Yes, the original title denotes scarlet as the color of choice, but aren't our sins all of a different type and color? This is another key element of online culture- it allows individuals to gather in monochromatic groups, the abundance of which forms a cyber-rainbow.

Another key element of the video was the initial invisibility of the A's. The idea here is that one individual's online confession can lead others to reveal sins that were already there. Looking back, I realize that part of my argument is also that the perception of A's on others can lead one to commit sin, because it seems socially acceptable. I probably could've ad-libbed one of the magnets looking at another, then sticking an A on them afterward.

These are the general points that I drew from my presentation, besides having some fun with video and good ol' magnets.

No comments:

Post a Comment