Sunday, April 29, 2012

And Erica's chosen novel is...

Second blog post ever. Maybe once I get to double digits, I'll get tired of starting them like that... My chosen novel for the term is The Scarlet Letter. I kinda love classics, (ok, I really love them), so that is one half of my motivation here. My other, less pure reason for this choice is kinda comparable to those times when someone insults you, and you can't think of a comeback until the moment they walk away. I loved this book the first time I read it, and am very open about my passion for classics like this. After sharing that information with a boy I was dating, I was surprised to see him react so negatively, specifically to this book. He hated The Scarlet Letter, and laughed at the idea that anyone could consider it at all enjoyable. (Needless to say, that relationship was rather short-lived haha) If he ever wanted to tease me about being an English major, or a scholarly elitist, or anything like that, this book was the channel of his passion. So after all those times of hearing, "Anyone that likes the Scarlet Letter..." or "I mean, you like the Scarlet Letter, for Pete's sake!", I finally came up with a comeback! If you could call a term project a comeback... Mostly, I'm just excited to study the novel and validate to myself all the good impressions I have of it. I'll be reading it for my sake, not really for that of a tardy comeback. That served as a nice spark, and now I can take it from there and do what I love to do- read, think, and remember. Or would it be brown-nosing to say consume, create, and connect? Yeah, I think it would... But I'll be doing it either way!

1 comment:

  1. The Scarlet Letter is a great choice. I love that book, too, and I definitely have had those experiences when people give me that weird look, you know the one that says, "You like [insert classic literature piece]? Oh that's right, you aren't a logical, thinking, rational person. You are an English major." From one English major to another, good choice!
    I don't know what kind of ideas you have already for what you want to write about, but I was just thinking about the idea of judgement and hypocrisy and how Hester was constantly trying to redeem herself from the symbol on her chest, while other people stood back sneering when they had their own sins they were trying to hide. Maybe you could tie that in with the digital age by how people post comments judging others, etc., not thinking about the red mark on their own chests. I don't know. I was just playing around with that idea. I hope that makes sense at all. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete