Tuesday, May 22, 2012

I'm Erica Oldroyd, and I approve this message...

To all of those in my English 295 class, and those to whom I advertised my mistaken assumption that people who use The Scarlet Letter as their band name or song title have probably never read the book, I have something to say: I was wrong. Because I have been epic failing at finding social proof, this impending bibliography (in which we list scholars who are interested in our study topics, and demonstrate how we've interacted with them and benefited from their superior intellectual experiences) is causing some stress. Which, as my grandma always says, is a great motivator. The point is, as my social warmup, I found one of the couple bands associated with The Scarlet Letter and posted on their Facebook wall. (Academic, I know.) And this is what I got in response!

Turns out that this Texan boy-band (and when I say boy-band, I mean that in the most punk-rocker hardcore way possible) started jamming during their junior year as they were studying the Scarlet Letter, and WALA! We have a band. So this is my official retraction of that very hasty judgment on behalf of the rock bands of the world. I apologize.

Thanks for restoring my faith in rock, (or Post-Hardcore, as they prefer to say) and in high school junior boys. I owe you one.

No comments:

Post a Comment